Tuesday 1 April 2014

Start sewing for a song

Brother GS2520
I see this morning that Lincraft is advertising a great deal on Brother sewing machines.  That's a great place to start if you are interested in learning to sew.  Even if you've never sewn before, there's so little else you'll need. Hopefully you already have an iron, so then all you should need is a pack of pins with a head that's easy to handle (avoid those teeny metal headed pins), a packet of the correct bobbins for your machine (ask the sales clerk before you buy), and thread.  I would make a start with black and off-white and build up your collection as you need it.  Guterman thread is my personal favourite.

Some kind of temporary marker is a great thing for marking patterns onto your fabric, but I wouldn't go all out and buy anything fancy (although my mechanical chalk pencil is just the best thing since sliced bread!).  A good old 2B pencil will work on most fabrics.

 And then you mustn't forget a pair of good quality scissors.  I always bought my sewing scissors from the sewing store but just recently have found the same serrated "Made in China" scissors I like are being sold under generic labels in two dollar shops near me, so I have been getting my previously $40 scissors for $3 a piece!  I think even with fabric (and be conservative with your first choices because you will need to have something you can practice on without fear of messing it up) you could have everything you need and sit down to learn to sew for less than $250 AUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment